Since you are running a business, selling your products is one of your duties. However, too many sales pitches will only irritate Internet users. So, the question is -- where is the "right" spot in selling?
Causes of Irritation
First, let's look at the conclusions reached in a study conducted by iResearch, "Top 10 reasons of irritation while surfing the Internet."
- When trying to watch a video, a video ad is played that can't be skipped.
- Accidentally clicking a moving banner.
- A video ad starts automatically.
- A page takes a long time to load, and the PC or smartphone runs slower.
- Several links must be clicked before reaching the page you want to see.
- On a smartphone, there is a banner that could be touched accidentally.
- A whole article can't be read without subscribing to the publication.
- Need to log in with one of the social network accounts (i.e., Facebook).
- Display of sexually oriented banners.
- Because of retargeting, only ads of similar products are displayed.
The study's conclusions show us that Internet users are easily annoyed by advertisements -- but we, as business owners, cannot eliminate advertisements. Even though we have to continue advertising, we should classify forced video ads (Nos. 1 and 3 in the above list) and tricky banners (Nos. 2 and 6) as excessive advertising. Also, even though you can successfully "trick" people into clicking on banners, those people will not buy your products. Thus, you are wasting advertising dollars.
© December, 2015